My name is Flora Goldenberg and I am a Professional Tour Guide in Paris, Licensed by the State
I was born in Paris, I grew up in Le Marais neighborhood, in the heart of a Jewish quarter in Paris. I feel very close to my Jewish origins. So I decided to reveal the Jewish History and the amazing Jewish Heritage of my city, through the jewish landmarks, the beautiful places in le Marais, my own personal experiences, access inside the little synagogues of the neighborhood and first hand stories that you would never find in a travel guide book.
You can send an email to Flora.Goldenberg@gmail.com or use the contact form and I will answer as soon as possible !
See my tours and ideas for your stay in Paris on this link. I am also curating family friendly tours in Paris. You can see my tours for Paris with kids and teenagers on this link.
A little about me :
After 5 years studying history and art at the Sorbonne University, I decided to become a guide in Paris. Why?
The city of Paris is my passion and I couldn’t think of a better way to reveal everything Paris can offer.
I must confess that my mother, Léontine, who is a guide in Paris for 25 years, gave me the pleasure of sharing and exchanging my knowledge with others, trained me to be a good tour guide in Paris, to be humble and listen, she transmitted to me the importance of sustaining the memory.
My origins are very important to me, and this is why I wanted to specialize in Jewish Heritage Tours in Paris.
I will also be happy to share with you all my honest opinions and give you any good advice that you would need during your stay in Paris, to help you find a hotel or a Kosher restaurant, as well as any other orientation questions that you have about Paris and the Jewish Paris Life.
I like discovering jewish tours in other cities in the world :
When I travel, I always look for new jewish tours in the city I discover, even in places like Brazil (Rio) Or Tunisia ( the Miraculous Synagogue of Ghriba, The small jewish neighborhood : Hara Saghira) and of course in Amsterdam, Rome, Jerusalem … I found great Jewish tours everywhere ! My list is still short, but I am counting on exploring the jewish heritage of every city I visir !
Many of my guests told me about the cities they visited and I am really interested in hearing about yours. Thanks to their feedbacks, we can have better plans for our travels, and preserve the jewish heritage and its beauty anywhere in the world. So don’t hesitate to share your experience and travels ideas with me and I can share it with others.
My Education & Expertise :
2011 – Licence to guide as “Guide Conférencière” by the state
- 5 Years : Master in Art & History at the University of Sorbonne Nouvelle – Paris III
- 1 Year : Special Training for the Tour Guide Licence
- 8 Years experience as a private tour guide in Paris with several agencies ( Louvre, Versailles, Walking tours in Montmartre … )
- 4 Years with the Holocaust Memorial ( Tours for kids, Teenagers, Family groups, attend the Shoah survivors testimonies … )
My Quality Assurance & personal Services :
- First, I check for you the booking dates for you, to avoid surprises :
- We will avoid the jewish holidays and Shabbats for the walking tours in Le Marais because during the jewish holidays, most of the stores and synagogues are closed for the public & visits. Some of them are open for prayers though. Check with me by email
- I also check if the museums are open when you come to Paris before booking
- It is better to tell me in advance your special requests ( Glatt Kosher, diet, allergies, long walks, pace, back pain, mobility, conservative … ) so I can adapt the tour for you ( Only on private tours ) .
- I also tour with families with children, so please ask me in advance to prepare your tour with questions to interact with kids and teenagers, depending on their ages (Booklets, treasure hunts and little surprise gifts are on the program)
- For couples, I can help organize special romantic trip outside of Paris, in my favorite hotels, depending on the season and the budget.
- The budget for these trips are above average, if you go with a private driver. So ask me by email for a customized plan, using the train to reduce the costs.
- If you take the train, you should know that France has a good train network, to go everywhere, I can help my English speaking visitors in France book the train if you want
- I also help with :
- Finding trusted licensed drivers for Airport Pick-ups, Day trips from Paris, ideas for itineraries …
- Answers questions about Kosher Restaurants, Glatt Kosher, Shabbat, or any recommendation for your stay in Paris
- planning a tour with a trusted great tour guide.
- I have a Licence to guide as a Guide Conférencière in France (All Paris Region Normandie, Champagne …)
- The tours are highly regulated by the state of France
- Guides must have a licence to guide in the museums and in the Chateau de Versailles so please check with your guide this information before booking
- In all my tours, I make sure to share happily with you my knowledge and my interests about the fascinating Jewish Heritage in Paris
Don’t hesitate to ask : available on whatsapp : + 33 6 16 30 47 35 or email : Flora.Goldenberg@gmail.com
My Reviews on Tripadvisor :
The Goldenberg Family’s history in Paris before the WWII until now :
A little history about my family in Paris
My grandfather, Joe Goldenberg, opened the famous Goldenberg restaurant before the beginning of the World War II. He survived the deportations and the horrors of the German occupation.
A restaurant but also a meeting place for the Holocaust survivors and the former resistance fighters :
Many of eastern European Jews arrived during the 19th century. They became the focus of Nazi round-ups during the occupation of Paris in the second world war.
Unfortunately, more than half of the local Jewish community would die in concentration camps. Read more
A symbol of revival in the late 70’s :
In the restaurant, Jewish delicatessen and food attracted many visitors during the 70’s. The restaurant facade is until now protected as it belongs to the Parisian Jewish Heritage. In 2019, I found some few postcard with the picture of the restaurant that we can see in the jewish boutiques of Rue des Rosiers.
In 1982, it was targeted in a grenade and gun attack in which six people were killed and 22 injured. Read more
Today, Le Marais and especially the Jewish neighborhood is the safest place in Paris. But, it’s been a few years since Jo Goldenberg packed up the business but his namesake lives on as an emblem of Jewish pride here in the “Pletzl”, yiddish for Little Place. Read more
Translation in English : Commemorative Plaque about Goldenberg’s Restaurant Attacks ” Anti Semite Terrorist Attack, August 9th 1982, in the restaurant Goldenberg a Gun Shootout erupted with a Grenade Explosion that Killed 6 people and injured 22 . in the Memory of :Mohamed Benemmon André Hezkia Niego Grace Cuter Anne Van Zanien Denise Guerche Rossignol Georges Demeter , Victims of Terrorism ”
My Mother Léontine, Tour guide in Paris before she decided to follow her dream and live in the Holy Land and she became an official guide in Jerusalem :
My mother is a professional guide who inspired me into designing the Jewish tour in Paris, since I was 22. She is a great guide and mentor. She is Dutch, originally from Amsterdam and lived in Paris since the 80s.
I became a professional tour guide with license at a young age thanks to her advices and her “guidance” ! My mother cared a lot about the Jewish diaspora, the Shoah and the Jewish Life everywhere. That’s why, she always invites to take a Jewish walking tour anywhere we go.
I personally took some great tours when I traveled to Rome, to Rio in Brazil, to Amsterdam … so If you need my recommendation for other cities, we are currently writing about all the tours we take in our travel blog.
Here are some pictures of Léontine during her grouped jewish walking tour in Paris ( in Summer 2018 ) :